Students coming back to campus this week were be greeted with many activities, including a performance by comedian Dennis Miller at the Schottenstein Center last night.

Miller was brought to Columbus in this Coca-Cola-sponsored event as part of Welcome Week festivities for both incoming and returning Ohio State students.

The former “Saturday Night Live” star, “Monday Night Football” commentator and host of “Dennis Miller Live” covers a wide range of topics with his comedy.

Justin Doyle, marketing manager of the Schottenstein Center, said this range made Miller the best choice for the free student event.

“This is a great opportunity to welcome back students,” Doyle said. “The fact that the performance is free is also a perk. We and Coca-Cola put our heads together to come up with the idea.”

Matthew Couch, assistant director of the Ohio Union, said students were excited about the event.

“At first students thought there might be a string attached, but after we explained that it is free and that it’s a gift to students from Coca-Cola, they showed a lot of enthusiam,” Couch said.

Tickets for Miller’s show were handed out at several events around campus, including Scarlet Fever on Sunday night and the Student Involvement Fair, which was held yesterday.

Couch said almost all tickets were handed out by yesterday afternoon, and he hopes students will turn out for the performance to set a precedent for similar events in the future.

“I think it’ll be some good comic relief,” said David Smith, a freshman in business. “I’m glad he’s back on stage instead of with ‘Monday Night Football.’ “

Miller was on ABC’s “Monday Night Football” for two seasons.

Miller, known for a satirical and ranting style of comedy that often incorporates political and social commentary, just ended the ninth season of his five-time Emmy award-winning show, HBO’S “Dennis Miller Live.”

Miller is also the author of several books, including “The Rant Zone,” “I Rant,” “Therefore I Am” and “The Rants,” which have all been New York Times best sellers.

Student welcoming events will continue throughout the week. A complete list of events and more information about Welcome Week can be found at www.osu.edu/welcomeweek.