For five years running, the Ohio State Department of Dance has presented Dance on Camera, an exhibition of various dances from around the world. Creator Victoria Unis said it is a great way for audiences to see cutting-edge international dance.

Unis, a professional modern dancer before becoming an OSU dance professor, said it will also be a great opportunity to see her former students showcase their work.

“Seven of the eight alumni filmmakers were my students,” Unis said. “I am bursting with pride at their achievements.”

Screenings will take place at 7 p.m. tonight and at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 28, at Sullivant Hall Theatre.

“Shawn Hove is the projectionist and co-curator of screening two,” Unis said. “Without Shawn’s good work, we could not do these shows.”

Unis said films during the first screening will originate from South Korea, South Africa, New Zealand, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, the U.K. and the U.S.

The second screening will be a chance for eight OSU dance alumni filmmakers to showcase their work. The eight alumni are as follows: Jenai Cutcher, Michael Estanich, Tim Glenn, Sarah Hixon, Yu Xiao, Gregory Catellier, Andrea E. Woods and Tiffany Rychard.

The average length of the films will be just over 10 minutes. The longest film is 35 minutes.

Unis termed most of the works experimental, meaning they were dance
works conceived specifically to be seen on screen.

“Screening one is comprised of works from Dance Films Association’s Dance on Camera Festival, held every year at Lincoln Center [for the Performing Arts] in New York City,” she said.

Unis is a member of the DFA and helps select 30 films for screening from hundreds sent in from around the world. Many of the films are produced professionally, so the screening is not merely an amateur showing.

Two of Unis’ films have made the screening in the past.

Unis said mostly dance-goers and film buffs have been attracted to the production in the past.

“I hope audiences will think it is one of the strongest years,” Unis said. “I think there is a lot of expectation and excitement around the alumni show.”

General admission tickets will be available at the door for $10. Senior citizen and student tickets are $5.