Police were called Saturday afternoon to 1897 N. Fourth St. on reports of a shooting.

When they arrived at the apartment, they found Julie Neeley, 51, and Bethany Lafountain, 25, with bullet wounds. Lafountain is listed in stable condition, but Neeley died from her wounds.

Officers arrested Daniel Neeley while he was driving near State Route 33 and James Road and charged him in connection with the shooting. He is the son of Julie Neeley and the brother of Lafountain.

The shooting is the 66th homicide of the year in Columbus.

Man severely beaten by muggers

A man was beaten unconscious by a group of men early Sunday in the University District after he refused to give them his banking information.

Police were called to High Street and Euclid Avenue at about 2:30 a.m. Sunday when someone reported a bloodied man walking up High Street. Police found the man, who said he had been mugged by three men.

The man, a 29-year-old Columbus resident, didn’t remember where the attack occurred, but said it was probably within a couple blocks from Euclid and High. He said he was pulled away from the sidewalk by one man and then two others came and robbed him.

When he refused to give them his banking PIN number, they beat him and kicked him in the face, knocking him unconscious.

The man doesn’t know how long he was unconscious, but when he woke, he continued walking along High.

Police reports say the man’s front teeth were chipped, his left eye was severely swollen and he had a bloody nose. He refused to be transported to a hospital, but officers released him to a friend who drove him to a hospital in Chillicothe for treatment.

MySpace status sparks threats
An Ohio State student reported Sunday that he has received numerous threatening calls and text messages because he changed his relationship status on the social networking Web site MySpace.

According to reports, the 24-year-old student has been receiving communication from a woman he has not seen since June, with messages telling him to “watch his back.” He said the woman is upset because he changed his relationship status on MySpace.

Police referred the student to the county prosecutor’s office.

Compiled by Collin Binkley