Both the men’s and women’s cross country teams are going to the 2009 NCAA Championship meet in Terra Haute, Ind., Nov. 23.

Junior and women’s distance runner Jordan Jennewine said last week that the team’s goal at the NCAA Regional Championship meet was a second-place finish. The team did just that.

The second-place finish clinches the first-ever trip to the NCAA Championship meet for the women’s team, a feat that seemed unlikely after its eighth-place finish at the Big Ten Championship meet on Nov. 1.

“This team is now the first women’s cross country team to qualify for a national championship wearing an OSU singlet. I am proud to be their coach,” coach Chris Neal said.

The men’s team continued its hot streak with a third-place finish on the legs of senior Jeff See, who finished first overall at the regional meet.

“Jeff obviously led the way for us today and is finishing up his cross country career at OSU in a fantastic way,” coach Robert Gary said. “He has been strong for us all year and just seems to be getting better as the season goes on.”

Both teams ran the NCAA Championship course earlier this year and might have an advantage over the teams that did not.

For around the clock OSU sports updates, follow the Lantern Sports Twitter @lanternspts24_7