Franklin Park Conservatory is Columbus’ very own premier horticultural and educational institution. The conservatory, more than 100 years old, showcases hundreds of exotic plant collections, gardens and floral displays.

Franklin Park Conservatory not only displays beautiful plant species within its walls and on its grounds, but it also features special exhibitions throughout the year, as well as a signature collection of work from world-renowned glass artist Dave Chihuly. Annual exhibitions at the conservatory include The Orchid Forest, which displays hundreds of tropical orchids, and Blooms and Butterflies, which returns for its 17th season in March.

When the nights start to get longer and fall comes to an end, the conservatory opens the holiday season with Holidays at the Conservatory.

Holidays at the Conservatory has been a part of Ohio’s seasonal tradition for many years.

“The poinsettia tree has become a sought-after backdrop for group and family holiday photos,” said Lori Kingston, marketing director of the Conservatory.

The 15-foot poinsettia tree is surrounded by dozens of other poinsettia varieties, plant displays, and lit evergreens decorating the conservatory. To add to the holiday atmosphere, the conservatory recently added a garden model railroad made entirely of natural materials and designed by Paul Busse.

Holidays at the Conservatory has activities for all ages. A gingerbread house competition will give away cash prizes for winners in five categories: youth, teen, family, adult and professional. Themes for decoration include “Inspired by Chihuly,” “A Gingerbread Garden” and “Favorite Book, Movie or Game,” according to their press release. Winners will have their work displayed throughout the Holiday season.

For students in the Columbus area during Thanksgiving and winter break, the conservatory is offering many activities and workshops through January.

During Candlelight Nights, the conservatory is lit by candles from 5 to 8 p.m. Live musical performances add to the romantic and festive atmosphere of the evening. Buffet dinners will be held in the decorated Palm House with the purchase of a ticket. Candlelight Nights also feature handmade craft sessions that are free with admission. Visitors learn to make paper trees, napkin rings, magnets, stained glass votives, centerpieces and bird feeders.

More holiday programming includes Gingerbread Fridays, where guests can create their own gingerbread houses, and Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire, which includes a hayride to the Garden Campus to roast chestnuts and enjoy popcorn and warm cider at the Live Fire Cooking Theater.

In the Conservatory Hot Shop, guests have the chance to decorate their own hand-blown ornaments. One option allows visitors to color their own templates. Glass artists will then make the drawings into a complimentary glass piece. The other option allows guests to work alongside a gaffer, or glass artist, to create blown glass artwork.

The conservatory will still feature other exhibitions and events during this time as well. Chihuly Reimagined is the conservatory’s signature collection by the artist and includes 23 installations around the conservatory. Cocktails in the Conservatory is a weekly 21-and-up social gathering that will continue throughout the holiday season in the Palm House from 5:30 to 10 p.m. every Thursday.

“The conservatory welcomes many visitors during the holidays. It draws all ages and interests,” Kingston said.

Ticket information for buffets, workshops and other conservatory events are available at fpconservatory.org.

General admission tickets are $10 for adults and $8 for seniors and students with valid ID. The building is located at 1777 E. Broad St.
Holidays at the Conservatory is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesdays, and runs from Nov. 25 through Jan. 3.

The conservatory will be closed Nov. 26 for Thanksgiving and Dec. 25 for Christmas, but will remain open for New Years Day.