Ohio State’s Opera and Musical Theatre program hopes to bring crowd participation and intimacy with its presentation of “Cabaret Urbain” at OSU Urban Arts Space. Voice students from the OSU School of Music will perform excerpts from operas and other musical theater pieces to raise money for the program.

This fundraising event is the program’s big Fall Quarter celebration. It showcases the talents of the school’s voice students and is an accumulation of their hard work and practice during the quarter.

“Last year was so successful that we decided to do it again in the same format,” said Peter Kozma, director of the Opera and Musical Theatre program.

To keep in the cabaret tradition, the performance is held at OSU Urban Arts Space so that the audience can be surrounded by art. Round tables are set up and guests are offered hors d’oeuvres and a complimentary glass of wine to set the mood of a true cabaret performance.

“‘Cabaret Urbain’ is an opportunity for the audience and performers to interact with each other. It is designed to better connect with the audience,” Kozma said.

The setting of a cabaret is cozy and intimate, an atmosphere that this performance intends to replicate.

“We really only worry about having a good time and making the audience have a good time. We don’t have the kind of separation between the audience and performers that is usually created in typical opera theater,” Kozma said.

“Cabaret Urbain” will include almost 30 pieces, ranging from opera arias and scenes to cabaret and showtunes.

For guests that might not be familiar with opera, “Cabaret Urbain” makes sure the performance is still understandable and enjoyable.

“You don’t need previous knowledge,” Kozma said. “Everyone introduces their piece before they begin, and hopefully with the opera arias and scenes, the basic situations should be easily understood.”

Because cabaret-style performances are less formal than an opera settings, Kozma and the performers get the chance to focus more on the performance and demonstrating their talents.

The students performing in “Cabaret Urbain” are all voice students, both undergraduates and graduates, who auditioned and were accepted into the voice program at OSU — a very competitive process, Kozma said.

Fifteen students were selected to perform.

Kozma believes “Cabaret Urbain” is one of the more embracing performances of the year regardless of experience level. Teaching and preparing the students for this performance was rewarding, Kozma said.
The Opera and Musical Theatre program performs “Cabaret Urbain” 7 p.m. Friday at the OSU Urban Arts Space. Tickets are $25 per person and available in advance through the OSU Theatre Box or at the doors the night of the performance. Proceeds will benefit the OSU Opera and Musical Theatre program.