Ohio State students have the chance to view fellow students’ artwork at the Hopkins Hall Gallery starting Nov. 30 in the bachelor of fine arts Senior Project Exhibit.

The BFA Senior Project Exhibit is a triannual event that showcases the work of OSU senior art students. The exhibit began in Spring Quarter of 2008 with 50 students. Students display their art at the end of Fall and Winter Quarters at the Hopkins Hall Gallery, but the venue moves to the Urban Arts Center for Spring Quarter.

The seniors involved in the project are enrolled in Art 696, the senior exhibition class, where they develop an artistic statement and proposal, said Prudence Gill, the curator at the Hopkins Hall Gallery. The size of the class varies from the 17 to 38 students.

The class is mandatory for art students to graduate. The goal of the course is for the students to exhibit their studio work and develop a portfolio of their work, according to the course description.

The Hopkins Gallery and its workers collaborate with the students in “coordinating, designing and curating” for the exhibit, Gill said.

After developing the exhibit, a reception is held the night before the graduation ceremony. At the reception, the students and their families gather to admire the work of their last year at OSU.

The exhibit, like all events held at the Hopkins Hall Gallery, is open to all students and the general public. The event is free, and Gill hopes attendees will see the broad spectrum of cross-disciplinary education the seniors have learned from the art program. Gill said the goal of the exhibit is to showcase the high caliber of art coming from OSU students in the art program.

Gill describes the show as “very exciting to come to.” The most rewarding part of the exhibit process was seeing how pleased the students were with the outcome.

The exhibit’s first showing begins Monday, Nov. 30 at 9 a.m. The gallery will showcase the seniors’ pieces until Saturday Dec. 17. Admission is free to all.