Thirty employees who work in a suite of offices in Hitchcock Hall are being moved today because some workers are concerned that their workplace is contaminated with a fungus.

Renovation of the suite was planned prior to the health claims, but now are going to begin immediately, said Amy Murray, assistant director of Media Relations. Meanwhile, employees will be moved to Dreese Lab and then later to Mason Hall. Renovations are expected to last four or five months.

Concerns about employee health began after a water line that was connected to a kitchen coffee-maker broke in the College of Engineering suite in March and sprayed water through the ceiling and flooded the area, Murray said.

A professional restoration company removed the water and later sprayed the suite with anti-microbial to prevent fungal contamination.

In June, Olga Stavridis, associate director of Career Services for engineering, was hospitalized. She worked in office 111A and had been complaining about becoming increasingly ill. She was diagnosed with respiratory issues and ended up in the hospital, where she had part of her lung removed.

After her illness was reported by her supervisor, OSU hired a consulting firm to evaluate the suite for possible mold.

Room 111A and other offices were evaluated later that month and found to be mold-free.

Amy Franklin, an office administrative associate in the same suite, complained of similar health issues after the water-line break. They both have been diagnosed with histoplasmosis, a fungal disease.

Stavridis and Franklin have retained the same attorney to investigate whether the work place caused the illnesses and whether OSU responded appropriately.

After Stavridis was diagnosed, she paid to have a ceiling tile from Hitchcock tested. Their attorney David Shroyer said it tested positive for the fungus that causes the disease.

Shroyer said that had the tile been tested sooner, it is possible Stavridis might not have needed the surgery.

“We’re investigating the case at this stage,” Shroyer said. “We’re looking
at all the aspects.”

OSU employees concerned about histoplasmosis can be tested on campus.

“We have made provisions for employees to be tested at OSU Employee Health Office,” Murray said.

No classrooms are affected by the move, she said.

Stavridis is back at work and confirmed Monday that she is moving to the fourth floor of Dreese Lab today.

Franklin did not respond to a request for an interview.