WOSU is giving radio airtime to the next generation of Columbus artists with help from the Arts Initiative at Ohio State.

Capital City Radio, a new WOSU station, is hosting the “Emerging Artists Studio,” a weekly show that highlights emerging artists in Central Ohio. The show is hosted by Karen Bell, OSU’s associate vice president for the Arts Initiative.

Victoria Ellwood, a spokeswoman for the Arts Initiative, said that the show began in December and has aired eight episodes. The initial contract calls for a year’s worth of programs.

“We’re focusing on a different emerging artist,” Ellwood said. “We’ve talked to visual artists, dancers, actors, playwrights and musicians.”

“Emerging Artists Studio” doesn’t only focuses on the art, but also on each artist’s personal story.

“It is more about what makes them tick, what inspires them and what support they find in the Columbus art community,” Ellwood said.

She said that featured artists are found through local galleries, word of mouth and social networking sites like Facebook.

Eric French, a senior broadcast technician at WOSU, said that Capital City Radio hopes to provide programs that are relevant to the community.

“One of the goals was to have a strong local connection,” he said. “We wanted to have as [many] ties as possible with arts, music and culture.”

Ellwood said the program also provides inspiration and support to up-and-coming artists in the area.

“A lot [of artists] leave for New York or Chicago and come back,” she said. “It’s a very supportive community. Artists help each other, they don’t compete.”

It is the strength of that arts community that allows a program like “Emerging Artists Studio” to succeed, French said.

“Since we have such a vibrant arts scene here it just seems perfect to have once a week artists’ showcases,” he said.

“Emerging Artists Studio” airs on Fridays in the 7 a.m. and noon hour slots. It airs on the WOSU’s HD radio station FM 87.3. More information is available at capitalcityradio.org.