“3D Dot Game Heroes” is a new PlayStation 3 game that plays like a 20-year-old game. It is a nostalgic adventure into the era of simplicity and fun. And unlike big gaming companies’ constant repackaging of old games, Game Heroes is a brand-new game with an updated twist to the beginning era of gaming.

You are a descendant from a line of heroes asked to take the legendary sword and stop evil’s resurrection. Scattered in the kingdom, Dotnia, are six dungeons with magical orbs to assist in your quest. Defeating and solving each dungeon will provide new tools to reach new areas and destroy a legendary monster.

The story is simple, mostly because there almost is no story. Game Heroes, like its predecessors, focuses on gameplay. There are no cutscenes, lengthy dialogue or cinematic qualities. A hero only needs to know his goal, and then set out for his quest.

The hero is guided to six dungeons, and finding them in Dotnia is not much trouble. Actually, exploring the world is one of the most entertaining things about the game.

However, constantly needing a certain item that is not available at the time is a tad annoying. And the dungeons themselves, though a great callback to older games, can get a bit redundant visually.

The swordplay has been revamped though, and for the better. When the hero has a full health meter, his sword will take up a large size of the screen, damaging any monster on contact. The tool is amusing and helpful during the quest.

The look of the game is simulated to look antique. The part of the title, “3D Dot,” refers to how every object in the game is created by tiny cubes. These blocks create an allusion to pixels, such as in the 8-bit days, but they also provide depth. It’s a beautiful mixture of old and new while also creating a fun style.

Other factors, such as glimmering water, realistic lighting and spot-on reflection, offer an impressive contrast.

The mix between old and new is balanced extremely well in Game Heroes, but a feature inspired by newer titles is the greatest aspect of the game.

The music and sounds are also a lovely 8-bit recall. Chiptunes are as catchy as ever and a mix of orchestration is introduced to mix things up. The songs are good and right for the heroic quest, but certain songs are heard too many times.

The adventure in Dotnia is a fun experience. Players just need to be aware that a majority of the game is an ancient formula. And if accepted, “3D Dot Game Heroes” can be a great experience; otherwise, the adventure will seem a bit mundane.

“3D Dot Game Heroes” is the love letter you wrote to your video games when you were young and impressionable. But instead of delivering the letter, you let it sit in your locker, collecting dust. And now, looking 20 years back, you can’t help but remember and rediscover that special chemistry all over again.