Cincinnati Reds

Just like that, The Reds are above .500 and second in the National League Central behind the division-leading Cardinals.

The Reds began the week hosting a three-game series against the Mets in which every game was decided by one run in the ninth inning or later.

The Reds won the first game thanks to Laynce Nix’s pinch-hit home run in the eleventh inning in the first game off of Manny Acosta. Francisco Cordero lost the second game for the Reds after allowing a solo shot from Rod Barajas, breaking a 4-4 tie going into the ninth inning. Orlando Cabrera helped the Reds win the series with a leadoff home run in the 10th inning, which gave the Reds their ninth win in the last at bat.

The Reds had a day off Thursday before the Cubs came to town.

Unlike the series with the Mets, the series with the Cubs was a lot more lopsided.

The Cubs took it to the Reds in the first game behind touted-rookie Starlin Castro’s 6 RBIs in his first-ever game. The Reds returned the favor in the second game with a barrage of late-inning runs as the Reds took a seventh inning 3-2, and ended up winning the game 14-2. Mike Leake pitched a gem in the third game, recording his third win and second series win of the week for the Reds.

Stud: Joey Votto. After this week Joey Votto leads the team (excluding players who have not had enough at-bats) in batting average, home runs, RBI and on-base percentage.

Dud:
Homer Bailey. After getting beat up in his last start against the Cubs, Bailey is 0-2 with a 7.24 ERA this season.

Next Week:
The Reds will begin the week trying to get their first win against the Pirates this season in a three-game series at Pittsburgh, and then will come back home to host the Cardinals in another three-game series.

Cleveland Indians

Despite returning to the friendly confines of Progressive Field, the Indians struggled through the past week, winning only one game, 7-4 against the Detroit Tigers Sunday.

The visiting Toronto Blue Jays won all three games against Cleveland, including Wednesday when the Blue Jays scored three runs in the ninth inning off Indians’ closer Chris Perez.

The Indians are at 11-18, fourth in the American League Central, and are 8.5 games back of the division-leading Minnesota Twins.

Stud: Travis Hafner. The player known as ‘Pronk’ came into the week hitting only .189 in 2010. But over the last few games, Hafner’s batting average has increased to .244, and he had an RBI in three consecutive games.

Dud: Jake Westbrook. Back from Tommy John surgery (elbow ligament replacement surgery), which kept him from pitching for more than a year, Westbrook is still looking for his first win as the team’s ace. Tuesday, his tough start continued, as he didn’t get past the fourth inning in an 8-5 loss to Toronto.

Up Next: The Indians begin an eight-game road trip Tuesday against Kansas City and will travel to Baltimore Friday for a three-game series with the Orioles.