Mark Bradford’s solo exhibit at the Wexner Center for the Arts ended Oct. 10 after an extended stay in Columbus.

The Los Angeles artist’s exhibit, which opened in May, was slated to end Aug. 15. But because of popularity and a layover before Bradford’s next show, the exhibit, which features 40 works, remained on the Ohio State campus.   

The Wexner exhibit is Bradford’s largest to date. The display features Bradford’s unconventional paintings, which mix paper and several other materials Bradford rescued from the streets of Los Angeles, his hometown. Bradford mixed these contrasting materials to create abstract images, which he said represent the conflict between individuals.

The exhibit’s stay allowed for a special event during Welcome Week, where Bradford was available to talk about his work.

Bradford’s presence was one of many events that took place at the annual Welcome Week Student Party — a celebration which according to the Wexner Center attracted about 2,000 students.

Although Bradford’s inspiration — and even the materials used in the paintings — stem from Los Angeles, Bradford’s work has never been displayed there.

Columbus was Bradford’s first major exhibit, but his artwork will soon travel to the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston and other contemporary museums.