Ohio State men’s basketball coach Thad Matta introduced his new assistant in April with promises that he would extend recruiting pipelines and improve post players.

Nearly six months later, it seems Dave Dickerson is doing just that.

“If you look at our staff makeup, we are kind of Midwestern predominant,” Dickerson said. “With me coming on to the staff, you do bring a different flare that we did not have.”

With coaching experience along the East Coast, in the Southeast and most recently in the Deep South as the head coach at Tulane University in New Orleans, Dickerson’s flare has expanded OSU’s recruiting footprint.

“He has recruited at the highest level and he is very, very well-connected,” Matta said.

He has already convinced one player to wear Scarlet and Gray.

Forward Evan Ravenel transferred to OSU from Boston College, in part because of the relationship he developed with Dickerson while being recruited by Tulane, Matta said. Ravenel will sit out a year before joining the team on the court.

Dickerson played down his importance in landing the transfer, calling the timing of the situation “lucky.”

Dickerson was hired as more than a recruiter. His two Final Four appearances and one national championship while on the staff at the University of Maryland bring important experience to the team, Matta said.

That experience has focused on the post players.

Dickerson has “helped me with everything really. It’s not really one dominant thing,” senior center Dallas Lauderdale said. “He helps me with my ball handling, my jump shot, my jump hook and my free throws.”

Lauderdale, who averaged 6.2 points per game and shot only 40.7 percent from the line, could improve in all those areas.

“I think Dallas is doing a better job of just putting the ball in the basket,” Dickerson said. “We are trying to develop him with a little turnaround jump shot to where now he can be more versatile and have more catches in the post.”

Teammates have noticed Dickerson’s impact.

“Dallas has done a great job this offseason working on his offensive game,” senior guard Jon Diebler said.

Dickerson’s impact doesn’t end with fundamentals.

“I think he is more of a player’s coach,” Lauderdale said. “If he sees a play he feels we should have made, he will stop practice and let us know.”

Matta seemed content with his assistant halting play to make his point.

“Every coach that I have ever had, I want thinking like a head coach,” he said.