Home » Features » Noodles, paddles and water weights part of H2O Boot Camp

Noodles, paddles and water weights part of H2O Boot Camp

There are other ways to exercise than playing basketball and finding an empty cardio machine at the RPAC: Try a water workout.

The H20 Boot Camp class focuses on cardio through swimming and plyometric exercises, said Jeffrey Conkle, a fourth-year in exercise science and instructor this quarter.

Plyometric exercises repeatedly and rapidly stretch and then contract muscles with the aim of improving muscle power, according to the MedicineNet website.

Despite low attendance compared to past water classes, it will be considered for next quarter as part of the Group Fitness classes offered at the RPAC, said Scott Holmes, Recreational Sports Fitness Coordinator.

Students will be able to see the Winter Quarter schedule of these classes by mid-December online, Holmes said.

The H2O Boot Camp involves running, high kicks and boot kicks under water, treading water while isolating an area of the body, such as the legs or arms, and using water equipment such as noodles, paddles and water weights to create resistance.

Because of low attendance, the class met once a week — from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Mondays in the class pool — instead of two days a week as originally planned.

The class began the quarter with about six regular attendees and ended the quarter with one to three, which is a normal trend, Conkle said.

Water classes are less attended than land classes, such as the popular Zumba class, a program that fuses Latin rhythms and easy-to-follow moves that tone and sculpt the body while burning fat, according to the official Zumba website. Zumba classes at the RPAC began with 160 attendees and diminished to about 30 regulars by the end of the quarter, Holmes said.

H2O Boot Camp replaced H2O Challenge and introduced a cardio-based workout, challenging strength, endurance and muscle power, Holmes said.

Members of the Department of Recreational Sports can purchase passes to attend any of the Group Fitness classes at the Welcome Center in the RPAC.

Quarterly passes cost $50; half-quarter passes, introduced this quarter, can be bought for the first or second five weeks of the quarter and cost $25; single-session passes cost $5.

During Fall and Spring quarters, between 500 and 600 passes are sold, in comparison to about 700 passes sold during Winter Quarter because people are less likely to exercise outdoors, Holmes said.

Justin Chee, a first-year in business, tried the class once and said he would recommend it and take it again next quarter because it was a different type of workout.

Conkle, who also teaches land Boot Camp at the RPAC, will teach the high intensity course Winter Quarter.