The off-season for the Ohio State men’s soccer team took an exciting turn on Tuesday when program alum Sam Scales was drafted into Major League Soccer.

Scales, midfielder and co-captain for the Buckeyes in 2010, was selected by Sporting Kansas City as the 10th overall pick in the Supplemental Draft. In Kansas City, Scales will rejoin former OSU teammates Konrad Warzycha and Roger Espinoza, 2011 and 2008 draftees, respectively.

“To have two friends on my new team, I couldn’t ask for more,” Scales said. “This is the kind of stuff you dream about as a little kid.”

Warzycha is looking forward to reuniting with Scales as well.

“It’s just great that I have someone to go through this whole experience with,” Warzycha said. “I’m excited for Sam.”

Closing out the 2010 Ohio State draftee triumvirate is Matt Gold, who was selected by Toronto FC in the SuperDraft. Gold said that sending a third player to MLS is an important achievement for Ohio State.

“It’s great for our senior class to all get this honor,” said Gold. “For Sam, I’m just proud of the kid.”

With their draft selections, Scales, Gold and Warzycha now match the 2008 OSU draft class of Espinoza, Eric Brunner, and Xavier Balc as the largest in program history.

“Ohio State is very much a professional environment,” Scales said. “It says a lot about our program.”