Steve Ward, host of VH1 reality television show “Tough Love,” gave Ohio State students relationship advice during his lecture Monday in the Ohio Union Performance Hall.

Ward said he initially got in the business of matchmaking to help his mother.

“I saw that my mom was doing everything the old fashion way,” Ward said. “It was a nightmare.”

Ward told students the three main components of any good relationship.

“It’s very simple: communication, respect (and) trust,” Ward said.

Ward toggled with comical gestures and more serious anecdotes about the do’s and don’ts of relationships, but focused on the consequence of social networking.

“In the digital age, trust is a commodity, ” Ward said. “It’s toxic … negative consequences permeate in every aspect of your life.”

Laughter echoed through the room as he poked fun at the harmful effects of fighting through text messages.

Some students received personal advice from Ward after the floor opened for individual questions

Ward’s advice ranged from telling male students to refrain from too much commitment too soon to female students demanding respect.

“My grandmothers always said don’t walk through the door unless he opens it,” Ward said.

Some students, who had not previously been fans of the show, said they had a change of heart after the lecture.

OSU student Gina Le, a third-year in psychology and English, said she didn’t watch the show before the lecture, but now was excited to see the new season.

“I really enjoyed (the speech). I didn’t watch the show, but I like the advice he gave,” Le said.

Martel Coleman, a fourth-year in political science and theater, said he particularly enjoyed Ward’s humor.

“Steve was hilarious,” Coleman said. “I watch ‘Tough Love,’ I know he’s funny.”

Ward said he is working on production and will begin shooting “Tough Love 3” in Miami in three weeks.

He ended the evening encouraging students to learn from others’ experiences.

“Everyone around you is going through the same thing you are,” Ward said. “Getting input may (help you) see the solution.”