Ohio State’s Student Safety Service plans to expand its fleet with two new vans that will cost about $55,000.

The Undergraduate Student Government and Byers Dublin Subaru, a Dublin, Ohio, car dealership, will partner to provide two Subaru Foresters to help get students home safely at night.

“We’re very proud that we were able to do this,” said Micah Kamrass, former USG president. “This will keep students safe and able to get rides that they normally couldn’t have. The OSU Department of Public Safety are great people and work hard to keep our students safe.”

Kamrass and Brad Pyle, former USG vice president, said this is their final act as president and vice president of USG.

USG donated roughly $30,000 from their operating funds to the OSU Department of Public Safety, Kamrass said.

“USG is donating a partial payment and we’re picking up the debit,” said Mark Laub, general manager of Byers Dublin Subaru. “There will be two brand new 2011 Subaru Foresters.”

Laub has been in law enforcement for 31 years for Franklin County and still serves part time. He also has a son who attends OSU.

“Law enforcement really works when you have partnership with the community,” Laub said. “I think that’s what the Student Safety Service program is. It’s a nice bridge between law enforcement and the student population of the university.”

Cara Berninger, a fourth-year in political science and Student Safety Services user, said she is pleased there will be two new vans.

“If I still went out as much as I did, it would be great to have more (safety vans). That would be awesome,” Berninger said.

The actual purchasing process has not yet been finalized, said OSU Police Chief Paul Denton, but should be finalized within the next week or so.

“This gives new life to our fleet. It’s tremendous,” Denton said. “Those (USG) folks are great to work with.”

Denton said they are looking for long-term solutions with community partners. Anyone can donate to the Student Safety development fund at the Office of Development through Campus Campaign, Denton said.

“The Byers family is very much committed to giving back to this great town that we live in. Being involved with the community is good for everyone,” Laub said.

USG will soon announce a date for the event, which will highlight the purchase of the new vans.