Football spokeswoman Shelly Poe reassigned

The Ohio State football program is looking at another shake-up, as Poe has been reassigned within the athletic department, associate athletic director of communications Dan Wallenberg confirmed to The Lantern.

Jerry Emig, who serves as sports information director for baseball, women’s soccer and men’s and women’s swimming and diving will trade roles with Poe.

Poe has been the top liaison between the media and OSU’s football program for four years. She came to OSU after serving as the SID at West Virginia for nearly 20 years.

Poe and Emig did not immediately return emails for comment.

Women’s track and field adds Big Ten Outdoor Championships to successful season

The OSU women’s track and field team won the Big Ten Outdoor Championships on Sunday, marking the first time OSU has won the outdoor championship. And, just two months earlier, the women won the Big Ten Indoor Championships.

The women’s 4-by-100-meter relay team took first with a time of 43.94 seconds, while junior Madison McNary won the 200-meter dash.

Junior Shaniqua McGinnis won the 400-meter dash, and Christina Manning won the 100-meter dash.

Junior Kelcey McKinney took first place in the triple jump with a jump of 12.80 meters.

“It’s pretty amazing, really,” coach Karen Dennis said. “Their efforts were so brilliant today. I’ve never seen that kind of dominance.”

Men’s track and field finishes 3rd at Big Ten Outdoor Championships, earns 5 individual titles

The Ohio State men’s track and field team took third place in the 2011 Big Ten Outdoor Championships on Sunday, finishing behind Iowa and Minnesota.

On day one, freshman Cody Marshall won the pole vault with a jump of 5.05 meters.

Junior Michael Hartfield got things started for the Buckeyes on the second day, claiming first place in the long jump with a jump of 7.54 meters.

“It feels good to defend the long-jump title and get 10 points for my team,” Hartfield said. “But it feels even better that as a team we had three people score. … I’m just glad we could pull through and bring in some major points.”

Junior Steve MacDonald followed Hartfield’s lead, taking second place with a jump of 7.26 meters.

“It felt great to go one, two with my teammate Mike because we train hard together and always talk about doing that,” MacDonald said. “It was a mental day with the tough weather, and we came prepared.”

Sophomore Heath Nickles took first place in the decathlon, scoring 7208 points.

Thomas Murdaugh took first in the 400-meter dash with a time of 46.44, and then helped the 4-by-400-meter relay team hold on to win a tight race with Iowa with a time of 3:06.45.

For senior Aaron Roberts, the victory was special.

“We came up short indoor and really wanted to reclaim the relay title,” Roberts said. “Personally, I’ve been working for this opportunity for four years, and to finish my Big Ten career with a title is something I’ll cherish for the rest of my life.”

Rowing wins 3rd Big Ten Championship

The 10th-ranked OSU rowing team earned its third conference title in program history Sunday.

The Buckeyes First Varsity Eight finished in second place with a time of 6:20:53, edging out Michigan by less than 1 second.

All six Buckeye boats finished in the top three in each race, including first-place finishes from the Second Varsity Eight and Second Varsity Four.

Ulrike Denker and Claudia Schiwy earned first-team All-Big Ten honors, followed by Carolin Helmholz and Claire-Louise Bode, who received second-team All-Big Ten honors. The Buckeyes won the Big Ten Championship in 2002 and 2006.