Former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor could have been ineligible for an NFL supplemental draft at one point, but after a letter from the university, his chances at eligibility have improved.

Under current NFL rules, Pryor, who departed OSU on June 7 after originally pledging to return for his senior season, was thought to be potentially ineligible for a supplemental draft.

A supplemental draft is used in circumstances where players cannot participate in the original NFL Draft and are subject to eligibility on a case by case basis. Because Pryor was eligible to play a portion of his senior season, he could have been ineligible for a supplemental draft.

Pryor’s draft eligibility was seemingly ensured on Tuesday, however, when he received a letter from the university informing him that he has been disassociated from the athletic program and declared ineligible from intercollegiate competition.

OSU spokesman Jim Lynch confirmed to The Lantern Tuesday that the letter had been sent to Pryor.

According to the letter, which was posted online by the Cleveland Plain Dealer, OSU athletic director Gene Smith wrote to Pryor and informed him that he would not be eligible as a result of not cooperating with the NCAA’s investigation of the athletic program.

“The university must also disassociate you from its athletic program for a period of five (5) years,” Smith said in the letter.

Smith added that Pryor’s disassociation from the athletic program does not prohibit him from returning to campus to complete his degree.

The NFL has not announced a date for the supplemental draft. OSU will begin its upcoming season under new coach Luke Fickell on Sept. 3 at Ohio Stadium against the Akron Zips.