After spending the summer performing at several music festivals, psychedelic electronica band Papadosio kicked off its fall tour in early September, and will be playing at the Newport Music Hall on Saturday at 8 p.m.

Papadosio combines the psychedelic sounds of electronica with the unpredictability of a jam-band to create music that contains elements of rock, house, jazz and a slew of other genres, depending on the song.

“We try not to subscribe to any specific genre,” Anthony Thogmartin, lead guitarist and vocalist of the group, told The Lantern. “It’s just whatever we feel like at the time. The best way to describe our music at this point is like mixing two styles that usually don’t seem like they should go together. That’s usually the method to our madness.”

Papadosio is no stranger to Columbus.

Shortly after forming in Athens, Ohio, in 2006, the band played one of its first gigs at the Scarlet & Grey Cafe. The upcoming Newport show will mark its 11th performance in Columbus.

But as Thogmartin said, each live show that Papadosio puts on is unique for a number of reasons.

The band integrates heavy improvisations into its performances, making every show musically different, Thogmartin said.

Recently the band has been segueing between songs. They also have a new stage set-up with a light show that gives every song a different feel. Furthermore, in every city the band performs they bring in visual artists to paint to the music during the show.

“We try to make it as much of a circus as possible,” Thogmartin said, adding that they will be performing some new songs at Saturday’s show.

Since forming, all of Papadosio’s releases have been made without the help of producers, giving them the freedom to be in complete control of their musical direction.

“We really wanted to keep our music ours and not somebody else’s,” Thogmartin said.

Papadosio’s goal in songwriting is to encourage their listeners to create something of their own.

“I think the band has kind of a global mission,” Thogmartin said. “We like to inspire people to enjoy themselves all the time, to kind of break out of this weird cycle we’ve got ourselves into. If anything we’re just trying to wake people up a little bit.”

Fourth-year in international studies, Dean Abdulrahim, became familiar with Papadosio about a year ago through a friend who is a fan. He has also seen them in concert once before.

“I really enjoy their music,” he said. “You see a lot of people raging their faces off (at their shows).”

Other students said Papadosio’s music isn’t their thing.

“It’s not really my style,” said Alex Ring, a third-year in civil engineering. “I like more lyrics in music, not so much electronic.”

However, as part of an attempt to reach out to a broader fan base, Papadosio has been incorporating more singing into its new material.

“Now there’s a place for a band with lyrics in our … scene, when maybe back in the day there didn’t seem like there really was one,” Thogmartin said. “We’re actually doing more and more of that as much as we can.”