Home » A+E » Dave Koz hopes to help Columbus ease into winter with smooth jazz sounds

Dave Koz hopes to help Columbus ease into winter with smooth jazz sounds

Courtesy of Greg Allen

If you’ve caught the holiday bug or may be in the Christmas spirit, Dave Koz and Friends Christmas Tour 2011 is to bring Christmas early this year.

Dave Koz, renowned saxophonist, will be joined by friends Rick Braun, Jonathan Butler and Candy Dulfer at the Palace Theatre at 8 p.m. Saturday.

The group will perform collaborative Christmas classics and seasonal favorites, with twist of smooth jazz and soulful influences.

Each artist will also take the stage and perform solos based on their genre.

Rich Corsi, director of programming for the Columbus Association for the Performing Arts, said the group has been invited to perform each year for the past 10 years. He said every year different artists are invited as special guests.

Braun is a singer and trumpeter, and will be playing with featuring artists Butler, a South African singer and guitarist, and Dulfer, a Dutch saxophonist.

Corsi said Koz comes to Columbus every year and the show sells very well. For many, the show has become a Christmas tradition, he said.

Over a span of 20 years, Koz has produced a dozen albums that have allowed him to be recognized as a contemporary musician and Grammy nominee. He bases his music on the idea of embracing new beginnings and relying on the future for challenges and opportunities.

His recent albums include “Hello Tomorrow,” “Memories of a Winter’s Night,” and “Dave Koz & Friends: A Smooth Jazz Christmas.”

“If you are looking for something different to enjoy, instead of going to watch the Nutracker or the Christmas Carol, this would be a great night to go and have fun,” Corsi said.

The tour will also visit major cities, such as Chicago and Cleveland, among others. The complete list of the tour is available at davekoz.com.

Nathan Miller, a second-year in international studies, is happy to hear that something original is being done to celebrate Christmas in Columbus.

“My favorite part about Christmas is the music and it’s a plus if its being played downtown,” Miller said.

Tickets start at $27.50 and can be purchased at the Ohio Theatre ticket office and at Ticketmaster outlets.