Former Ohio State football coach Joe Daniels died early Sunday morning at the age of 69 after years of battling multiple illnesses.

Daniels concluded his coaching career at OSU after 39 years in the profession. He joined the OSU staff in 2001 as the quarterback coach and stayed in that role for eight years, until after spring drills in the 2009 season. He later moved into a personnel development position at OSU.

“Joe had a positive impact on everyone he met,” OSU Athletic Director Gene Smith said in a press release. “There are hundreds of former and current football players who are blessed because of the relationship they had with Joe. It was an honor to be in his presence and we thank him for what he gave Buckeye Nation while he was a coach and administrator. Our hearts and prayers are with his wife Kathy, son Matt, daughter Kaitlin, daughter-in-law Jenny and the entire Daniels family.”

During his coaching career, Daniels helped coach and develop quarterbacks like Dan Marino, Ozzie Newsome and former Buckeye Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith.

“The things that stand out to me were Joe’s sense of humor and the way he approached the last five years,” OSU defensive coordinator Jim Heacock said. “He was always upbeat. Everything was always good. He was an amazing man and you won’t find any better quality of person than Joe Daniels.”