China Dynasty is not only the “Home of the Happy Buddha,” but also the home of the happy customer.

Located in Upper Arlington at 1689 W. Lane Ave., and somewhat hidden behind The Shops on Lane Avenue plaza, China Dynasty exceeds all expectations of a typical Chinese restaurant.         

Walking up the steps in the back of the shopping center, I was not sure what to expect, but that quickly changed. Upon entering the restaurant, I was welcomed by a golden Buddha, smiling ear to ear, and a very friendly staff. A kind hostess was eager to seat me and the waiter arrived at my table almost immediately.             

Looking over the beverage list, I couldn’t help but notice the abundance of choices. In addition to tea, soda and the other traditional beverages, it features several mixed drinks, various wines and a healthy supply of bottled beer.                                             

Its appetizer list is also impressive. Included in the menu are items such as crab rangoon, pot stickers, egg rolls and Teriyaki chicken skewers. Needless to say, I did not starve while I was there.

I ordered the sesame chicken, a dish that tasted every bit as good as it looked. It was crispy, even though covered with a glaze, and seemed to mesh perfectly with the broccoli counterpart. The perfectly cooked white rice then served as a bed to the chicken morsels.  

Beyond my own meal, the dinner menu is filled to the brim with more than 80 entrees to choose from. They are labeled as to whether they are spicy or not and they all come with a choice of white, brown or fried rice. Its menu covers a spectrum of proteins: beef, chicken, duck, pork and seafood, plus vegetable dishes, all offered at reasonable rates.

The lunch entrees average about $8.50 and the dinner meals run about $13 – $15. The servings are large enough that I knew I would be able to make a second meal out of the leftover treats in my doggy bag.                                            

The meals are cooked to order and it is easy to tell. The food not only tastes fresh, but the restaurant serves it with five-star restaurant presentation.                         

The food is great, the atmosphere follows suit and the staff is genuinely kind. It is no wonder this restaurant was voted Best Chinese Cuisine in 2008 by Columbus Monthly and The Other Paper.

Whether just a night out or a night out with someone special, China Dynasty is sure to fit the bill.

Grade: A