In his third year of eligibility, former Reds shortstop Barry Larkin was voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame on Monday.

Larkin, who is the only player elected to the Hall of Fame this year, received 86.4 percent of the vote from the Baseball Writers’ Association of America. A player needs at least 75 percent of the vote in order to be inducted.

Larkin spent his entire major league career with the Cincinnati Reds from 1986-2004. In that time, he batted .295 and tallied 198 home runs, 960 RBIs, 2,340 hits and 379 stolen bases.

Only Pete Rose has more hits in a Reds uniform.

Larkin also won three Gold Gloves, the National League MVP award in 1995 and was a member of 1990 World Series team that swept the Oakland Athletics. Larkin’s nine Silver Slugger Awards, given to the best offensive player in both leagues at each position, is second-most all-time by an infielder behind only Alex Rodriguez, currently of the New York Yankees.

The 47-year-old Larkin is a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, and attended the University of Michigan, where his No. 16 was retired in 2010.

Larkin was also recruited by legendary Michigan coach Bo Schembechler to play football for the Wolverines. Larkin was redshirted his freshman year and thereafter decided to devote all of his time to baseball.

It appears Larkin might have made the right choice.

Larkin will be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y., on July 22.