Former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel was not named the head coach of the Indianapolis Colts Wednesday, despite being interviewed for the position more than once.

Colts owner Jim Irsay instead chose former Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano to lead his franchise after Indianapolis finished with a league-worst 2-14 record in 2011.

“I really believe Chuck is bringing a toughness, the leadership we need at this point for the franchise,” Irsay said when introducing the new coach Thursday.

Tressel interviewed for the Colts’ coaching job twice according to multiple reports.

On Monday, former Colts’ coach and current NFL analyst at NBC Tony Dungy said he thought Tressel might land the job.

“I think Jim Irsay has his man in mind. It may be Jim Tressel, that’s what I’m hearing,” Dungy said on the Dan Patrick Show.

Tressel served as a consultant for the Colts during the 2011 season and helped the team make in-game replay decisions.

The Colts suspended Tressel until the seventh game of the season because of NCAA violations committed at OSU while Tressel was coach.

As a result of the violations, the NCAA issued OSU a one-year bowl ban and a reduction of nine scholarships over three years.

Tressel was served with a five-year show-cause penalty for his role in the violations. The penalty means that any NCAA institution that hires Tressel within the next five years could face sanctions.