Home » Uncategorized » Ohio State football adds Kerry Coombs to coaching staff

Ohio State football adds Kerry Coombs to coaching staff

Former University of Cincinnati associate head coach Kerry Coombs will join the Ohio State football coaching staff, a source tells The Lantern.

Coombs will fill the role of defensive backs coach for the Buckeyes, a position vacated by Bill Sheridan, who left to become the defensive coordinator for the NFL’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Feb. 17.

Ryan Koslen, associate sports communications director at Cincinnati, confirmed to The Lantern Thursday that Coombs had left the Bearcats football program.

OSU athletics spokesman Jerry Emig did not deny the latest personnel addition to OSU coach Urban Meyer’s staff in an email to The Lantern.

“As is our protocol for all personnel decisions, when we have something official to report regarding personnel we will report the announcement,” Emig said in an email to The Lantern.

Coombs, who also served as Cincinnati’s special teams coordinator, defensive pass game coordinator and defensive backs coach, has roots in Ohio high school and collegiate football that could benefit Meyer’s staff in the future.

A 1983 graduate of the University of Dayton and a member of the Flyers’ 1980 NCAA Division III National Championship team, Coombs tallied a 161-34 record in 16 seasons at Colerain High School in suburban Cincinnati, Ohio. In 2004, his team went 15-0 record won the Ohio Division I title.

OSU begins spring football drills on March 28 with the 2012 Spring Game set to take place on April 21.

Thomas Bradley contributed to this story.