Home » Sports » Ohio State men’s volleyball takes 2 at St. John Arena

Ohio State men’s volleyball takes 2 at St. John Arena

Brittany Schock / Asst. photo editor

The Ohio State men’s volleyball team swept the weekend at St. John Arena with wins against Carthage College and conference foe Ball State to improve to an 11-4 record on the season.

A rowdy Carthage team brought an arsenal of choreographed chants with them Sunday afternoon. Led by sophomore outside hitter Tyler Parks, the Red Men cheered in chorus after every point they scored and danced during timeouts.

The antics failed to shake the Buckeyes who took the Red Men in four sets.

“(Carthage) was a match where we wanted to build some momentum coming off of Friday’s performance to get better to go into this coming Thursday and Saturday,” said OSU coach Pete Hanson.

Despite a victory for his team, Hanson was dissatisfied with the amount of errors in the match.

“You just can’t play like that, make those kinds of errors and play uninspired volleyball, no matter who the opponent is,” he said.

OSU led the first set, 4-3, until two consecutive errors from senior opposite Shawn Sangrey put Carthage ahead. The Red Men held onto that advantage and took set one, 18-25.

Carthage started the second set strong with a four-point lead. The Buckeyes recovered and the score tied 10 times in an effort to pull ahead. At 17 all, a five-point run gave OSU the edge it needed to close the set 25-21.

Junior outside hitter Nick Gibson scored on two kills and a block to aid in the crucial drive.

“It was a little bit of a longer battle than we wanted,” Gibson said. “You can make statements in different ways, whether it’s in three games or four.”

The score in the third set stayed within two points with both teams exchanging the lead. At 15-17, Sangrey’s kill and service ace contributed to four straight points for OSU.

Set point came for the Buckeyes on a service error by sophomore right side Pat Barry. Senior middle blocker Matt Yanz’s kill sailed out of bounds to give OSU the set, 25-18.

OSU took a quick five-point lead in the final set, 10-5, after a service ace from Gibson and a kill by senior outside hitter Mik Berzins.

The Red Men were unable to catch up and the Buckeyes took the set 25-16.

Berzins described Carthage as “a team that will sneak up on you.”

“They played with a lot of intensity and are a really top-notch team,” Berzins said.

OSU swept the Ball State Cardinals in three sets in their Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association match Friday night.

Sangrey recorded a match-high 13 kills. Junior middle blocker Grayson Overman and senior outside hitter Anthony Hock added seven apiece.

Junior outside attacker Larry Wrather led the Cardinals offensively with 10 kills and 11.5 points. Wrather and Hock both tallied six digs for their teams.

The Buckeyes watched as an attack from junior setter Elias Aparcedo arched over the net and landed out of bounds to end the first set, 25-15.

In an attempt to keep the second set alive, Wrather leaped over the Cardinals’ bench between two coaches to retrieve a ball hit wide. Junior outside hitter Mike Stefani was credited with the service ace and the set ended, 25-22.

The third set, 25-17, included four more Buckeye service aces and only three errors.

OSU will be on the road this week with conference matches in Romeoville and Chicago, Ill.

The Buckeyes will face the No. 7-ranked Lewis University Flyers Thursday and the No. 14-ranked Loyola-Chicago Ramblers Saturday. Both matches are set to begin at 7 p.m.