Home » Sports » Ohio State women’s hockey ends regular season

Ohio State women’s hockey ends regular season

Photo courtesy of the Ohio State Athletic Department

The Ohio State women’s ice hockey team ended the 2011-12 regular season with perhaps its best performance of the year Saturday.

Following a lopsided 7-1 loss to No. 1-ranked Wisconsin Friday afternoon in Madison, Wis., OSU (16-14-4, 13-14-1-1 WCHA), upset the Badgers (29-3-2, 23-3-2-1 WCHA), 4-2, Saturday at the Kohl Center.

The Buckeyes got two goals from junior forward Hokey Langan, with freshman defenseman Kari Schmitt and senior forward Laura McIntosh also tallying on way to a victory Saturday. OSU sophomore goalie Lisa Steffes made 28 saves after letting seven shots get past her Friday.

OSU got off to a fast start Saturday with three unanswered first-period goals.

Eight minutes into the first period the Badgers turned the puck over and Schmitt capitalized, scoring to give the Buckeyes a 1-0 lead at 8:30 in the opening stanza.

OSU added to its lead with two goals in a 1:05-minute span shortly after Schmitt’s goal. McIntosh fired a shot from the faceoff circle that found the back of the net at 10:39 in the first, and Langan scored a power-play goal at 11:44. The Buckeyes held strong on defense, stopping six Wisconsin shots and led, 3-0, after 20 minutes.

The Badgers scored the lone goal of the second period to cut OSU’s lead to 3-1 with a tally on the power play at 17:31. A little more than five minutes into the third period, Wisconsin added another power-play goal at 14:59 to cut the Buckeyes’ lead to 3-2.

Wisconsin continued to put pressure on Steffes, taking 10 shots in the third period, and pulled its goalie to gain a player advantage with less than a minute remaining.

The Buckeyes were able to gain control of the puck, and Langan tallied her second score, an empty net goal at 19:31, to seal the win, 4-2.

OSU’s four goals tie for the most given up by Wisconsin this season, and the two-goal margin of victory is the biggest of the year against the Badgers.

The win solidified a fifth-place finish in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association with 41 points for the regular season. OSU will travel to fourth-place Minnesota Duluth (18-13-1, 15-12-1-1 WCHA) for a best-of-three series in the first round of the WCHA playoffs starting Friday in Duluth, Minn.