In the year 2030, America will still have the most “vibrant economy in the world.” Vice President Joe Biden assured journalists attending the Ohio Newspaper Association Convention 2012 that jobs will come back to the nation.

“With or without (President) Barack Obama and Joe Biden, I am absolutely convinced that America is better positioned than any other country in the world to be the leading economy in the world at providing Americans with decent jobs,” Biden said.

The annual convention, held at the Hilton Columbus near Polaris Fashion Place Wednesday and Thursday, brings together journalists and newspaper affiliates to discuss issues in journalism and news.

Biden spoke about journalists and editors who make it their duty to find the facts and share others’ discoveries.

“Freedom of thought is the oxygen that feeds innovation,” Biden said.

Confidence in the American ability to make life better for their children is a key aspect in bringing jobs back to America, Biden said.

“Competition has been the adrenaline that’s always driven American excellence,” he said.

Biden said 62 percent of all jobs created in the next ten years will require education beyond high school.

“That’s why we’re focusing on strengthening community colleges, so that they can play an integral part in the training of workers and skills that we lost,” he said.

Jack Hanna, director emeritus of the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium and wildlife expert, and Bob Nutting, CEO of Ogden Newspapers and principal owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates, were also headline speakers at the convention.

The winners of ONA’s Collegiate Newspaper Competition were also announced Thursday afternoon. The Lantern was recognized with the General Excellence Award, which denotes the best collegiate newspaper in Ohio. The Lantern, which fell in Division A in the competition, also took home first place in Editorial Writing, received second place in News Coverage, Sports Coverage, Photojournalism, Headline Writing and Website, and received third place in Design and Arts and Entertainment.

Dan Hope contributed to this story.