Men’s Tennis wins seventh consecutive outright Big Ten title

The Ohio State men’s tennis team defeated Michigan, 6-1, Sunday to capture the outright Big Ten regular-season title. It’s the seventh consecutive year the program has accomplished the feat. The win also extended OSU’s winning streak in Columbus to 146 straight wins.

“We’re very fortunate to be on the run that we’ve been on these last seven years,” OSU coach Ty Tucker said in a press release. “We couldn’t have done it without the support of the fans and the tremendous work put in by our team.”

5 members of OSU’s men’s gymnastics team named All-American

Senior Ty Echard, sophomores Misha Koudinov, Kris Done and Michael Newburger and freshman Danny Steiner earned All-American honors after competing in the 2012 NCAA Men’s Gymnastics Individual Event Finals in Norman, Okla., over the weekend.

The five All-Americans ties the most the OSU men’s gymnastics program record set in 1993 and 2002.

“I am proud of the guys for finishing this year with high-level performances in the event finals,” said head coach Rustam Sharipov. “The guys did a great job to finish out the year and now it is time to get ready for next season.”

Women’s gymnastics ends season in NCAA semifinals

OSU’s women’s gymnastics teams scored a 196.525 Friday in the NCAA Championship semifinals Duluth, Ga., but failed to qualify for the Super Six Team Finals.

In the end the Buckeyes were just .625 points short of advancing, but despite the season coming to an end, coach Carey Fagan said she was pleased with how OSU competed.

“I’m really happy with the way the team handled the pressure of competing at the NCAA Championship,” Fagan said according in a press release. “They did what we have done all season and it feels great to be ranked in the Top 10.”

Stieber falls short of Olympics

OSU redshirt freshman wrestler Logan Stieber traveled to Iowa City, Iowa, this past weekend to participate in the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team Wrestling Trials, but didn’t qualify when all was said and done.

Stieber, the 133-pound NCAA National Champion, was the last college athlete standing in the Olympic Trails, but lost to Coleman Scott of the Gator Wrestling Club Saturday.

Former OSU wrestlers J.D. Bergman, Tommy Rowlands, and Colt Sponseller also failed to qualify.