Deshaun Thomas is returning to the Ohio State men’s basketball team for his junior season.

OSU coach Thad Matta announced the return of the Buckeyes’ sophomore forward in a Friday release, just two days after Jared Sullinger announced he would forego his final two seasons of eligibility and enter the 2012 NBA Draft.

Matta said during Sullinger’s Wednesday press conference that he was retrieving information from NBA teams to help Thomas in the decision-making process.

After helping Thomas evaluate his future for the past week, Matta said he looks forward to Thomas’ return to the program.

“Deshaun, his family and our coaching staff have spent the last week evaluating his future,” Matta said in the release. “Deshaun determined he wants to remain a Buckeye. We are looking forward to building on the success our team enjoyed in 2011-12 with Deshaun playing a significant role next year.”

Thomas scored 619 points during the Buckeyes’ 2011-12 season, which ended Saturday with a Final Four loss to Kansas at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans.

Thomas said he loves being a Buckeye and looks forward to developing in several areas of his life.

“We have a great team returning next season and I want to be a part of another championship run,” Thomas said in the release.

Thomas said he plans to eventually pursue a professional basketball career.

“If I do have an opportunity to play basketball professionally, I want to have an immediate impact,” Thomas said. “Working with my teammates and coaches at Ohio State will help me achieve my future goals.”