The Ohio State baseball (28-21, 11-10 Big Ten) team faces the Seattle University Redhawks (21-22), who fly into town for a non-conference weekend series.
The Buckeyes face the Redhawks in the second of back-to-back non-conference series after splitting a pair of games at No. 25 Oklahoma State Tuesday and Wednesday. Buckeye coach Greg Beals spoke after Wednesday’s game and said the turnaround was so quick he hadn’t had a chance to create a scouting report for Seattle.
“I haven’t dug into that and we’ll do that on the plane ride home,” Beals said in a phone interview after Wednesday’s win against Oklahoma State. “We’ll look things over and put together our scouting report for the weekend.”
The Redhawks are not a part of any Division I conference. They will join the Western Athletic Conference July 1 in all sports except for football, according to a WAC press release.
The Buckeyes are in sixth place in the Big Ten and need to finish no worse than sixth to qualify for the Big Ten tournament. Heading into the weekend, the Buckeyes are one-half game back of a three-way tie for third place in the Big Ten. Michigan State, Minnesota and Penn State are all 10-8.
Beals said having the weekend off by playing a non-conference opponent allows the Buckeyes to watch other Big Ten teams in front of them.
“It’s nice after last weekend with Northwestern and we got a sweep in that series,” Beals said. “That got us back into the thick of things (in the Big Ten) and now this week hopefully the Big Ten does what it does and everyone beats each other up in front of us.”
Game one of OSU’s weekend series with Seattle begins Friday at Bill Davis stadium. First pitch is at 6:35 p.m.