Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer and former Buckeye running back Jeff Logan posted a score of 7-under in the sixth annual Chick-fil-A Bowl Challenge charity golf tournament, earning OSU a tie for sixth place and $25,000 in scholarship money for OSU. In total, $520,000 were up for grabs among the schools competing for scholarships and $243,000 was raised charity organizations.
Georgia Tech’s team, comprised of football coach Paul Johnson and former Yellow Jackets basketball player Jon Barry, won the competition for the second consecutive year, posting a round of 10-under par.
Fifteen schools sent teams to compete in the 18-hole event, and all participating schools will receive a portion of the $500,000 in scholarship money competed for on Tuesday.
Played at the Reynolds Plantation’s par-72 Oconee course in Greensboro, Ga., the two-man scramble competition featured 15 teams of NCAA football coaches and a celebrity alumnus from the same school.
The field was originally set at 16, but the University of Virginia dropped out before the competition began.
In a scramble, both players tee off on each hole. The better of the two tee shots is selected and both players play their second shot from that spot. The same process is applied to each subsequent shot until the ball is holed.
By winning the challenge, Johnson and Barry earned $125,000 in scholarship-funds for Georgia Tech and the remaining $375,000 will be awarded to the other 14 schools with the amount based on its team’s finish in the challenge.
On Monday, the other $20,000 available in scholarship money was awarded between four skills competitions. Separate Long Drive challenges and Closest To The Pin challenges were held for the field of NCAA coaches and the celebrity alumni, with an award of $5,000 in scholarship money for the winner of each skills competition.
With a 94-yard shot that rolled to within two feet of the cup, Meyer won the coaches’ Closest To The Pin challenge and an additional $5,000 scholarship for OSU. He finished third in the driving contest with a 271.6-yard drive.
Miami University coach Al Golden (303 yards) won the coaches’ Long Drive challenge, while former Mississippi State football player Fred McCrary (5 feet) and Barry (308.7 yards) won the alumni’s Closest To The Pin challenge and Long Drive challenge, respectively.
The annual competition is a primary contributor to the Chick-fil-A Bowl’s charitable and scholarship donation efforts. All told, the 2012 event raised $763,000 for scholarships and charities.