It produced a “Picture We Love” in National Geographic. Self Magazine named it one of the coolest races to run this year. And it’s coming to Columbus this summer.

Called the happiest 5-kilometer race on the planet on its website, the Color Run will be slinging vibrant colors around Columbus on July 21. Color Runners will be doused with clouds of color dust at each kilometer mark. Registration to participate in Columbus sold by May 22.

Runners had the option to register for the race as individuals or with a team. A portion of the $40 registration fee goes to a local cause, which for Color Run Columbus is the Columbus Recreation and Parks Department.

Michelle Rodriguez, a third-year in art history at Santa Ana College, ran in the Color Run in Irvine, Calif. on April 22. She said she loved the run and that her description of the run wouldn’t do it justice, but she had a warning for those running in the Columbus race.

“The color thrown on you is a powdered substance, so be careful when running through the color because it’s not fun coughing up the stuff,” Rodriguez said.

Maria Thomas, a third-year in finance at OSU, said she was initially drawn to the Color Run because of its likeness to Holi, a Hindu festival during which people throw colored powder at each other to welcome spring.

During the Color Run, participants are required to wear a white shirt at the starting line. By the race’s end, the shirts, covered in a cornstarch-based color dust, resemble a work of art.

Darvonna Hayes, a third-year in logistics management at OSU, will be participating in the run. Hayes said she hopes the run will motivate her to be more active this summer.

“I’ve never done a 5K, and this whole summer I’m trying to get fit and healthy again,” Hayes said. “The Color Run is totally different from a regular 5K, so I was interested in doing it.”

Although neither Hayes nor Thomas have ever participated in a 5K before, the Color Run website states all ages and degrees of athleticism are encouraged. Color Runners can “run, walk, crawl or cartwheel” to the finish line at any speed.

A Color Run 5K event was held in Cleveland on June 16, and there will be one in Cincinnati on Oct. 6. Registration for the Cincinnati race is still open.

The Columbus route will start downtown near the Arena District, head toward the Short North and then loop back around Goodale Park. Those crossing the finish line are encouraged to indulge in Jazz and Rib Fest that will be occurring downtown on July 20-22.

“(The Color Run) is just something completely different instead of just sitting at home wasting away the summer,” Thomas said.