Successful bands tend to have good chemistry, and for Cleveland pop-rock duo Attack Cat, that was the easy part.

The duo of Dave Douglas and Rachel Hoskins, are just bandmates, they’re husband and wife.

The pair will bring its poppy harmonies to Columbus for the first time Saturday. It’s scheduled to perform along My Beloved Tragedy and The Slang at 9 p.m. Saturday at Rumba Café, located at 2507 Summit St.

“People should expect a high-energy pop-rock show that’s pretty fun and has a lot of dynamic to the performance,” Hoskins said. “A lot of ladies say Dave’s the hottie, so they can expect to see that, too.”

Douglas plays the drums and Hoskins plays keyboard, but both collaborate on the writing and singing parts of production.

Attack Cat formed in 2008. The couple met as undergraduate students at Malone University in Canton, where Douglas studied music production and Hoskins majored in journalism with a vocal music minor.

Douglas found fame as the drummer for Christian rock band Relient K before quitting in 2007 to focus on making music with Hoskins. Douglas said the shift from playing arena concerts to significantly smaller shows with his wife was difficult initially.

“At first, I thought, ‘This is going to be so relaxed and chill.'” Douglas said. “But it’s also kind of frustrating and kind of got discouraging. But we’re starting to really figure out what the personality of the band is. Now it’s more fun, but it was definitely a crazy transition.”

Johnny Barton, promoter for Attack Cat’s tour and a talent buyer for Snowflake Orange Media, said one of the band’s strengths is its vocals.

“Rachel and Dave have very different voices, but they blend them together very well,” Barton said. “They keep their harmonies very tight, and they switch off taking the melody, which is very engaging from a listener’s standpoint.”

While formerly playing as a duo, Attack Cat recently recruited a guitarist, the couple’s friend Steve Beller, for its current tour. Douglas said having Beller play with the band has helped it’s dynamic feel more professional.

“It helps to feel more like band practice instead of just going into the other room,” Douglas said. “(Beller) shows up and we’re like, ‘Oh, it’s practice time.'”

Douglas and Hoskins said balancing their roles as bandmates and spouses is not as difficult as people may think.

“Everything kind of overlaps, but we actually do a pretty good job when we’re on the ball and on task,” Douglas said. “We step on each other’s toes a little bit, but we work together pretty smoothly.”

Attack Cat released its second EP “Dandy Outlaws” in October. Hoskins said it’s planning to release more new music soon.

“We want to just put out more music and keep playing and writing,” Hoskins said. “We have a goal to start touring more and more.”

Tickets for the concert are available for $5 in advance and on the day of the show.