Ohio State football added another chapter to its own history Sunday evening with the announcement that seniors Garrett Goebel, John Simon, Etienne Sabino, Jordan Hall and Zach Boren will captain the 2012 Buckeyes.

Goebel, Simon, Sabino, Hall and Boren were chosen by their peers to lead first-year OSU coach Urban Meyer’s squad, which learned Saturday that it is ranked No. 18 in the Associated Press’ first Top 25 poll of the season.

“Announcing who are team captains is one of the great honors I get to do as head coach,” Meyer said in an OSU athletics Sunday release. “We had a number of guys get votes. This is a really good group of seniors who I am very proud to have leading this team.”

Simon, co-captain of former head coach and current defensive coordinator Luke Fickell’s 2011 Buckeyes, becomes just the seventh two-time captain in OSU history.

Being named captain meant a lot, Simon said the athletic department release.

“I appreciate the votes of the players. This is one of the biggest honors a player can receive and I’ll be proud to lead this team along with four other great guys,” Simon said. “We’ll have a really good season if we all lead well.”

Simon (defensive lineman) Boren (fullback) and Sabino (linebacker) all joined Meyer in Chicago for Big Ten Media Days – the three players have been visible at media events. 

Hall, a senior running back, joins the captain quintet despite surgery for a torn ligament in his foot after stepping on glass while walking his pit bull dog, “Cali.” Hall could miss up to three games at the outset of OSU’s non-conference schedule.

Hall said his selection for the captaincy is a dream come true.

“I was hoping to be named a captain but I was also a little surprised when it happened,” Hall said. “I can’t thank my teammates enough for selecting me for this honor.”

Goebel, a redshirt senior defensive lineman with five career starts to his name, said that he too is honored by his selection as captain.

“I’m excited. It is an honor that your teammates think that highly of you to name you a captain,” Goebel said. “I’m going to put everything I have into this responsibility.”

OSU’s five new captains will lead the team into competition for the Buckeyes’ first game this year Sept. 1 at Ohio Stadium. Kickoff is set for noon.