Home » Opinion » Avoid illegal jaywalking, keep eyes off cellphones for a safer campus, smoother traffic flow

Avoid illegal jaywalking, keep eyes off cellphones for a safer campus, smoother traffic flow

I remember when I was learning to drive, my dad gave me some advice that when I’m on the road, I’m not driving for my family, my friends, not even myself. I’m driving for all the other drivers around me because I can’t assume that they will drive safely. Even when I’m walking or bicycling, I try to be aware of my surroundings.
Since the beginning of the semester, there have been accidents involving pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists. Some of these incidents could have been prevented if the pedestrian was a little more cautious. Even I’m not perfect: I have certainly jaywalked and used my cellphone while crossing the street, but if you can find me one person who’s obeyed all traffic laws, let me know.
We need to become better pedestrians who are law-abiding, courteous, considerate and, probably the most important of all, aware.
Probably most, if not everyone, in their lifetime has jaywalked before because it’s obviously appealing for being a quick way from getting from point A to point B. On the other hand, it’s obviously dangerous as motorists are not prepared for jaywalkers all the time. Jaywalking is not only dangerous, but it would be a waste of time and money to create legitimate crosswalks for pedestrians.
So when you’re walking on High Street, use the walk signals at each traffic light, or even use the crosswalks that don’t have traffic lights if you want to get somewhere faster. There’s even one traffic light in front of the Ohio Union that’s not meant for cars but for pedestrians to get across safely, quickly and, most importantly, as legally as possible. After all, jaywalking is illegal and a police officer can give you a ticket for it.
Whether you’re on or off campus, we need to be more courteous and considerate of drivers who are waiting for students to steer clear of the crosswalks, such as the ones on Woodruff Avenue. With the semester conversion, we all have more classes that are shorter, resulting in more students walking on campus during the busiest times of the day. So if you notice that a driver has been waiting for a while at a crosswalk, try to let him go first. It will help traffic flow.
Probably the most important thing for pedestrians is to be aware. Whether it’s on a legitimate crosswalk or not, for those who like to use their cellphones (including myself), we need to keep in mind that not all motorists give the road their undivided attention, or in other cases not all motorists are sober enough to drive at all. Even when you’re not sober, you should try to find ways to get home safely like having a friend walk with you to your dorm or apartment.
Of course, we all have reasons for disregarding traffic laws. At some point, we’re all in a hurry. I often find myself only having 10 minutes to get to class, but in the end, we really should make the attempt to manage our time better.
In the end, we need to be more law-abiding, courteous, considerate and aware when walking, bicycling and driving. Whether it’s going to class, to work or simply out for some fun, we should always make the attempt to be better pedestrians. After all, is it worth risking your life?