Ohio State men’s golf sophomore Grant Weaver is no stranger to recognition from the Big Ten Conference, and he received another honor after earning the Big Ten Golfer of the Week.
Weaver, last season’s Big Ten Freshman of the Year, was named the conference’s Golfer of the Week after his performance in this week’s Marshall Invitational.
Weaver said he is happy to be recognized.
“It’s a nice honor to have,” Weaver said. “I am pretty sure that’s the first time I have gotten that kind of honor.”
Weaver had a career-best outing at the Marshall Invitational, posting a 54-hole score of 209. Weaver started his first round Monday with a career-low round of 68, which he followed up with a 69 in the second round. Weaver posted a 72 in the final round and his team-best score in the tournament helped OSU finish the tournament tied for second.
“I putted pretty well and I managed my game well,” Weaver said. “I tried to keep from having bogeys and dig holes.”
The sophomore was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Year last season , but he said he worked on improving his game during the off-season.
“What I have been working on most over the past year has been my swing, and especially my tee shots because that’s what has hurt me when I have been out of play,” Weaver said. “I have been working on trying to hit more fairways and greens and get myself in a good position.”
Coach Donnie Darr said Weaver worked hard on improving over the off-season and is seeing improvement.
“The big thing for Grant is that he has really worked hard over the last year,” Darr said. “Especially on the fundamentals of his golf swing, he is a much better ball striker and has always had the ability to shoot good scores, and he is now hitting so many more quality shots that his game has taken the next step.”
Fellow teammate, sophomore Boo Timko, also commented on Weaver’s individual strengths.
“He finished pretty well in the tournament and he was our highest finisher,” Timko said. “I think just his biggest strength is his ability to be able to make putters from anywhere.”
With one tournament played this season, Weaver said this season he wants to improve and hopes the team advances far.
“I just want to improve on last year, last year was all right for me, I got to play most of the year, which is good for a freshman,” Weaver said. “I hope we make it to nationals this year.”