Ohio State women’s soccer senior defender Kendyl Reed was surprised to be named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week, because she said was just doing her job.

“Honestly, I was shocked because it is my job not to let anyone through,” Reed said. “I wish there was a defensive team of the week because I think our whole back four did an outstanding job.”

Reed acknowledged her strengths that contribute to her success as a defensive player.

“I am patient and since I have been on the attacking end … I kind of know what an offensive player is looking for,” Reed said. “I have an attitude where I won’t let someone get in front of me.”

OSU coach Lori Walker praised Reed for the skills that helped the player earn the award.

“She is very fast, very crafty and she reads the game well,” Walker said.

Senior defender Aly Walker said Reed’s strength is her hard work and dedication from the start of a game to the finish.

“She stays focused the entire game and I can always count on her,” Walker said.

The Buckeyes have a 3-2-0 overall record and Reed said she hopes the team keeps moving up in the rankings.

“Our goal is to be in the top and we want to be Big Ten champions,” Reed said. “We need to keep working on staying connected and playing smart.”

While Reed said she is looking forward to her job at an accounting firm after this season, she is sad to see the student-athlete phase of her life end.

“It’s weird to see my (soccer) career slowly ending, but I want to finish strong,” Reed said, “so it’s fun but sad at the same time.”

The Buckeyes, undefeated so far on their home field in three games so far in 2012, will face No. 13 Missouri on Thursday at 7 p.m. at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.