Behind Ohio State sophomore quarterback Braxton Miller’s 141 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 27 carries, the No. 14 Buckeyes (2-0) defeated unranked Central Florida, 31-16.

Miller was 18-of-23 for 155 passing yards, and connected with redshirt senior wide receiver-turned-tight end Jake Stoneburner for the quarterback’s lone passing touchdown of the day. The touchdown reception was the 10th of Stoneburner’s OSU career and his first as a receiver.

OSU offense

Sophomore wide receiver Devin Smith and junior receiver Corey “Philly” Brown grabbed six catches apiece to lead the Buckeyes against the Knights. Smith finished the game with 57 yards receiving while Brown tallied 48 yards receiving.

The Buckeyes notched a new season-high in catches with 18. The longest pass of the day was a 15-yarder caught by Smith.

OSU committed three turnovers on the day – Miller was picked off by UCF senior cornerback A.J. Bouye while senior fullback Zach Boren and redshirt sophomore Rod Smith each fumbled once. 

OSU defense 

Junior safety Christian Bryant led the Buckeyes’ defense with seven total tackles on Saturday. OSU tallied three interceptions against UCF sophomore quarterback Brett Bortles. Senior safety Orhian Johnson, redshirt senior corner Travis Howard and redshirt senior Etienne Sabino each grabbed a pick in the game. Johnson had a team-high five solo tackles.

OSU sophomore defensive end Steve Miller tallied the Buckeyes’ only sack of the game.

Freshman defensive tackle Adolphus Washington blocked a UCF extra point attempt in the third quarter to help OSU hold the Knights to 16 points in the game.

Injuries

Redshirt senior defensive end Nathan Williams did not practice this past week due to soreness and did not dress against UCF.

Junior running back Carlos Hyde left Saturday’s game after logging only seven carries for 27 yards. After the game, OSU coach Urban Meyer confirmed that Hyde suffered a sprained MCL and could miss up to two games.

Howard fell to the field and left Saturday’s game several times. Meyer said afterward that Howard was experiencing stingers, or temporary paralysis, and should be ready for next Saturday’s game against California at Ohio Stadium. 

OSU is scheduled to kick off its game against California next Saturday at noon.