Unlike my other attempts at taking breaks in relationships, I’m hoping my current one with the Foo Fighters can be worked out.

You see, Foo Fighters is preparing for what appears to be an extended break from producing and touring. Since it will be going dormant for an unknown period of time this means I the band and I are also going on break.

I’m committed, though. I’m going to wait for the band.

Frontman Dave Grohl left mouths gaping during the band’s Saturday set at the Global Citizens Festival in New York, when he said: “We don’t have any shows after this. This is where we play as many songs as we can in a short period of time, because, honestly, I don’t know when we’re gonna do it again.”

Grohl took to the band’s website Tuesday to clarify his remarks and confirm Foo Fighters’ break. The letter he wrote read:

“Hey everyone …
Dave here. Just wanted to write and thank you all again from the bottom of my heart for another incredible year. (Our 18th, to be exact). We truly never could have done any of this without you …
Never in my wildest dreams did I think Foo Fighters would make it this far. I never thought we COULD make it this far, to be honest. There were times when I didn’t think the band would survive. There were times when I wanted to give up. But … I can’t give up this band. And I never will. Because it’s not just a band to me. It’s my life. It’s my family. It’s my world.
“Yes … I was serious. I’m not sure when the Foo Fighters are going to play again. It feels strange to say that, but it’s a good thing for all of us to go away for a while. It’s one of the reasons we’re still here. Make sense? I never want to NOT be in this band. So, sometimes it’s good to just… put it back in the garage for a while …”

So the thing about the band’s break from making music and touring is that it’s also a break between the band and I, and it hurts.

Albums, tickets to live shows, T-shirts – I’ve supported these guys and this is the thanks I get? Selfish lover, right?

As in any breakup, you want the initiator of the break – Grohl in this case – to know you’re hurt. Some breakups are initiated under suspicious circumstances In this case, I guess I’m just worried the band members will go run off with American rock band Queens of the Stone Age or something.

Grohl has spent time as a drummer for Queens of the Stone Age, so my suspicion (though it might be that of a jealous lover) isn’t completely unfounded.

Still, I’m going to try to make this break work.

I want what’s best for the guys in the band, and if they say it will be good to get away, then they really should shelve it all for a while. After all, it has been working on “Wasting Light” and touring since August 2010.

And then there’s this, the final two lines of Grohl’s letter to fans:

“Me, Taylor (Hawkins), Nate (Mendel), Pat (Smear), Chris (Shiflett), and Rami (Jaffee) … I’m sure we’ll all see you out there … somewhere … Thank you, thank you, thank you.”

If I must take a break from my love affair with Foo Fighters, I guess I can’t ask more of the bandmates than that.

“I’m sure we’ll all see you out there … somewhere” – those words are far from a commitment to the future but just as far from a clean break, so I’ll take it and hold out hope that we get back together.

No, I’m not finished with Foo Fighters. Nor does it appear that it’s finished with me, err, I mean us.

Put it back in the garage if you gotta, guys. Come back when Foo Fighters is good and ready to rock again. I’ll be here when you’re ready to talk.