Craig Romney, the youngest son of Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, paid a visit to Ohio State’s campus Saturday afternoon as a part of the Romney campaign trail through Ohio.
The 31-year-old stopped at the Ohio Union where he spoke with the OSU College Republicans as they went door to door talking to off-campus students and Columbus residents about the campaign in an effort called Buckeye Blitz.
Craig Romney told the crowd, comprised of about 25 College Republicans, he had heard Ohio volunteers were the best volunteers and that the Romney campaign needed their hard work to help them win the election.
Afterward, he spoke individually with the students and posed for pictures with the group in front of his campaign bus.
In an exclusive interview with The Lantern, Craig Romney said he got into Ohio on Friday and visited Kent, Ohio and Youngstown, Ohio before coming to OSU to speak to the College Republicans.
“We’ve got a great group of volunteers here and we just wanted to get out and thank them for all they’re doing but also help them get on their way with the Buckeye Blitz this weekend,” he said.
Craig Romney said Ohio and the youth vote is critical for this election and that they’ve seen a swing of support among younger voters for his father.
“They see this tremendous deficit that’s been left by this president and I think they understand that’s going to be our generation’s burden to pay that debt,” Craig Romney said.
Both Craig Romney’s father and running mate Paul Ryan will be visiting Ohio this week. Mitt Romney was last in Columbus Sept. 26, when he visited Westerville South High School.
President Barack Obama is scheduled to hold a campaign event on the Oval Tuesday, as originally reported by The Lantern.
Craig Romney said he wants OSU students to know that his father is prepared to lead in the economy and will help find students jobs once they graduate.
“This is a man that cares deeply about the future of our country,” he said. “He understands the problems we are facing as a nation and he understands how to solve them.”