The Ohio State men’s soccer team may be coming off a last-minute loss to Michigan, but they’re not letting it get them down against Michigan State.
“I think we’re feeling pretty good, obviously it was a devastating loss, especially in the last minute of overtime,” said Junior captain Sage Gardner. “We all know that the past few years the winner of the Big Ten has been 4-2, so if we win out, we could still be Big Ten champions.”
And win out is just what they intend to do.
“The Big Ten’s always such a battle,” said senior co-captain and midfielder Austin McAnena. “If we continue working, then I think we’ll be good.”
Although the Buckeyes are coming back from a loss, the Spartans are as well. Losing in double-overtime to Northwestern, the Spartans aren’t the only team fighting for a Big Ten victory.
“We have to get past the loss and look forward to Michigan State, and I think we’re headed in the right direction,” freshman forward Louie Berra said.
After last Sunday’s loss, coach John Bluem hopes the team attitude can carry everyone forward.
“We’re disappointed about what happened Sunday, for a lot of reason, because that was a game we could have one,” Bluem said. “The guys bounce back quickly, the loss hurt for a bit but they’re ready to move on.”
With 4 more Big Ten games to look forward to, and 3 out of conference games, the team is trying to forget the past and just push towards getting more wins.
“I don’t think our results show it, but I think if everyone’s mentality is right, we could definitely win out,” Gardner said.
With 11 games down, and 7 to go, Bluem said the season still has potential and McAnena agreed.
“The only place we can go is up from here,” McAnena said.
The Buckeyes and The Spartans kick-off at noon this Sunday at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.