Home » Sports » Ohio State, Oregon agree to home-and-home series in 2020, 2021

Ohio State, Oregon agree to home-and-home series in 2020, 2021

Courtesy of MCT

Chalk up another rematch for the Ohio State football team.
Almost two weeks after finalizing an agreement to play Texas in the coming years, the Buckeyes secured another home-and-home series with Oregon for the 2020 and 2021 seasons, the athletic department announced Tuesday.
“Oregon has developed into one of the premier football programs in the (Football Bowl Subdivision),” OSU athletic director Gene Smith said in a released statement. “We are excited to add them to our future slate of games.”
The Buckeyes are slated to travel to Eugene, Ore., for a Sept. 12, 2020, contest before hosting Oregon on Sept. 11, 2021, in Columbus.
Ducks’ athletics director Rob Mullens said OSU “provides another major conference opponent” for the future.
“The Pac-12 and Big Ten have enjoyed a long-standing relationship, so the opportunity to add another Big Ten opponent was attractive, Mullens said in a released statement. “We have two of the most passionate fan bases in college football and the atmosphere at both Ohio Stadium and Autzen Stadium are among the best in college football.”
Oregon football coach Chip Kelly said he shares a similar mindset.
“This will be a great opportunity for our fans to be a part of an intersectional battle that has not taken place in Eugene very often,” Kelly said in a released statement. “I’ve always been a proponent of playing the highest level of competition possible. I’m a firm believer that you make yourself better when pushed by the level of your competition.”
While the teams have only met eight times, it’s been less than three years since OSU defeated the Ducks in the 2010 Rose Bowl, 26-17.
In fact, the Buckeyes are 8-0 against Oregon all-time.
On Oct. 10, OSU and Texas agreed to play in Austin in 2022 and Columbus in 2023. The contest against the Longhorns is the first since the 2009 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, which saw Texas top OSU, 24-21.
The Buckeyes announced the completion of their non-conference schedule for 2016 season Tuesday after home games against Tulsa on Sept. 10 and Central Michigan on Sept. 24 were finalized.
Rounding out the Buckeyes’ non-conference schedule that year will be Bowling Green (Sept. 3) and Oklahoma (Sept. 17).