It’s probably safe to say most college students aren’t morning people. Those 8 a.m. classes can be the devil in disguise, especially during the cold, dark fall and winter months. But that’s no reason to sacrifice your sense of style. Here are some tips to keep your early mornings running smoothly and maybe give you a few more minutes of shut-eye.

Know what you’re going to wear: It might sound silly, but picking out your outfit the night before can save you a lot of time in the morning. You waste valuable minutes of sleep deciding which pants will look good that day, and where did your favorite green top go? If you’re worried about not liking the outfit you picked the night before, choose two to give your half-awake self some options.

Layer it on: Early mornings are freezing this time of year. You’ll wake up to frost on your car and even a pumpkin spice latte can’t warm you up. Your instincts might tell you to pick your coziest sweater and heaviest jacket and head out the door, but this will become a problem the minute you set foot in your classroom. If you start to sweat when you walk into a room, the key is to layer. Lots of thinner layers will keep you warm outside, but can fit comfortably in your bag once you’re inside.

Pack your bags: When it comes to your bags, pack them the night before while you’re picking out your outfit. You’re less likely to forget something essential for the next day, and this will save you an extra five minutes of sleep and a whole lot of panic throughout the day.

Check the weather: Although it seems like the weathermen are wrong most of the time, it’s good to have an idea of how cold or hot it will get throughout the day. Most of the time, the temperature will jump about 10 to 15 degrees by noon, so it’s important to be able to plan for that. You’ll also want to check for rain, but I recommend always having an umbrella just in case.

Find a bad hair day solution: Having a great hair day when your day begins before sunrise is generally impossible, but there is a solution. Find a hairstyle that will tame your mane no matter what state it’s in. Side braids are a cute and fun option. You can also opt for a ballerina bun as a chic and put-together look.

Your morning routine doesn’t have to be defined by long hours doing your hair and deciding what your best look is. It’s important to know when to avoid wearing sweats – and even worse pajama pants – and opt for a more polished look that will get you up and motivated in the morning, even when coffee doesn’t work.