Home » Sports » Fast start not enough for Ohio State men’s lacrosse against Loyola

Fast start not enough for Ohio State men’s lacrosse against Loyola

Shelby Lum / Lantern photographer

After playing its last three games on the road, the Ohio State men’s lacrosse team got off to a rough start back home as it fell, 9-4, to the No. 5 Loyola Greyhounds.
The No. 12 Buckeyes failed to gain ground on the Eastern College Athletic Conference leaders, despite a strong start to the game.
Senior attacker Logan Schuss scored 55 seconds in, bringing his consecutive point streak to 54 games and tying his career goals for second on the OSU all-time scoring list with 123.
But after OSU sophomore midfielder David Planning tied the game, 3-3, with 3:03 left in the first half, the Greyhounds took over. They took a 6-3 lead into halftime and never looking back.
After Loyola went on a 6-0 run, senior attacker Nick Liddil scored one final OSU goal with nine seconds left, but it wasn’t enough as the game ended, 9-4. Despite giving up nine goals, OSU’s junior goalkeeper Greg Dutton made a career-high 14 saves as the Greyhounds outshot the Buckeyes on the day, 41-23.
Dutton said the Buckeyes struggled to follow through with their game plan. “I thought we had a good game plan. We just didn’t execute it as we wanted to. Sometimes it’s just not your day,” Dutton said. “Hopefully we’ll see these guys again and play better.”
Senior midfielder Dominique Alexander attributed the loss to OSU’s 16 turnovers.
“We know coming in we couldn’t turn the ball over,” Alexander said. “We also know coming in they were the defending national champions so they didn’t get that title for no reason. We knew we had to play better, and obviously we didn’t, so it’s kind of disappointing.”
Coach Nick Myers said he thought OSU’s defense performed well on the day, but the offense still has room to grow.
“Defensively, we played our scheme, and Greg did a great job for us in goal. Offensively, we have to (find) our identity,” Myers said. “We have to find the balance between generating quality shots and not being so reckless with the ball.”
OSU (6-3, 1-2) sits at fifth place in the ECAC with four conference games remaining in the season. The Buckeyes sit one game behind fourth place. Only the top four teams earn conference championship berths.
OSU is set to play Hobart Saturday at noon at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.