Hawthorne, George R. passed away Feb. 26 at age 95. He was born in Coshocton, Ohio, on Feb. 1, 1918, to Carl Henderson Hawthorne II and Gladys (Boetcher) Hawthorne. He had a master’s degree in civil engineering from Ohio State University. George Hawthorne retired from the United States Army Corps of Engineers. He worked for Sandia Base in Albuquerque, N.M., after World War II where he met his wife, Donelle Carson. George Hawthorne was assigned to the Manhattan Project to build Los Alamos for the Los Alamos National Laboratories. He also worked at the National Guard Training Center teaching Army officers. He worked in civil engineering for the Zia Company in Los Alamos, for Bill Turney & Associates Engineering Firm in Santa Fe, and the New Mexico Highway Department. Once he retired from the military, he operated the Kings Rest Court motel in Santa Fe for 15 years. George Hawthorne was best known by his nickname “The Colonel.” He was preceded in death by his wife Donelle, their daughter Janet, granddaughter Sage and grandson Stuart. George is survived by his children Joyce Ziesenis and husband Greg, Judith Hawthorne, Robert Hawthorne and wife Angela, and David Hawthorne; grandchildren Samantha, Laurinda, Adam, Kelley, Candace and Kristina and six great grandchildren. He will be greatly missed by numerous friends, relatives and all that knew and loved him. A graveside service will be held at 11 a.m. on April 6 at Fairview Memorial Park, 700 Yale Blvd., Albuquerque, N.M. To view information or leave a condolence please visit www.danielsfuneral.com

Daniels Family Funeral Services
1100 Coal Ave SE
Albuquerque, NM 87106
505-842-8800