Ice cream is a popular treat for many all year, but especially in the summertime. During this time, several local ice cream shops accommodate the popularity with new flavors to satisfy customers’ cravings. 

Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams has different limited edition flavors it releases each summer.

“Summer is huge for us,” Jeni Britton Bauer, creator of Jeni’s, told The Lantern. “We have several limited edition flavors this year like Huckleberry Yogurt that will be coming in July.” 

Bauer said Jeni’s also has flavors that return every summer, just for the season.

“We have perennial flavors – those come back every year – like (Roasted) Strawberry Buttermilk. For that one we roast strawberries then puree them and use them all season long,” she said. 

A pint of a perennial flavor at Jeni’s is $12.

Graeter’s Ice Cream, based in Cincinnati, recently released its limited edition Orange & Cream flavor in early April that will be available through May. 

Melissa Poli, store manager of the Graeter’s on Lane Avenue in Upper Arlington, said the new flavor has been very popular. 

“We started selling it last Monday and we actually sold out the first week because we didn’t anticipate how popular it would be,” Poli said. “It tastes just like an old-fashioned Creamsicle,” she said. 

A pint of Orange & Cream at Graeter’s is $4.99.

The limited edition summer flavors are not the only ones some customers like to enjoy during the warmer months.

“Jeni’s is a nice treat during the summer,” said Lance Kinsey, a third-year in integrated social studies. “The (Salty) Caramel flavor in a waffle cone is my favorite.” 

In addition to limited edition and perennial flavors, Jeni’s and Graeter’s both offer the usual year-round flavors in the summer.