The Kappa Kappa Gamma national fraternity is currently investigating OSU’s Beta Nu chapter (pictured) after receiving information on a hazing incident that allegedly involved members of the sorority on OSU’s campus. Credit: Liz Young / Editor-in-chief

The Beta Nu chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma at Ohio State has been issued a cease and desist order.

The Beta Nu chapter is on cease and desist with the university while Student Conduct continues to investigate the situation, said Dave Isaacs, a spokesman for the Office of Student Life.

“Being under a cease and desist order means that they have to request permission from the vice president of Student Life before they engage in chapter activities,” Isaacs said.

Elizabeth Bailey, fraternity vice president for Kappa Kappa Gamma national, said in a Monday email the investigation with the university has been completed, but no sanctions have been issued yet.

“The chapter is still under a cease and desist order until sanctions, if any, are issued,” Bailey said. “The chapter is not currently on probation.”
Beta Nu chapter President Adrienne Schertz, a second-year in strategic communication and business, said the internal discipline is to remain confidential, but the standards committee is conducting a thorough investigation.

Both the university and Kappa Kappa Gamma’s national organization has been involved.

“Our chapter is working closely with the university and our local chapter advisers, province director of chapters, regional director of chapters and director of chapters while the facts are being determined,” Schertz said.

Schertz said they will try to understand why individual members did not comply with the fraternity’s and university’s expectations when it comes to social behavior to better prevent these situations in the future.

“We will continue to educate our members regarding these expectations and use this incident to further develop our educational programs,” Schertz said. “In addition, we will consult with our local alumnae advisers for their insights and guidance.”

Jessica Braddock, OSU Panhellenic Association president, said she was not at all involved in the judicial process regarding Kappa Kappa Gamma.

According to the Beta Nu website, Kappa Kappa Gamma was first founded on October 13, 1870, at Monmouth College in Monmouth, Ill. The organization was the first sorority on campus at OSU when it was established in October 1888.

OSU is home to 14 PHA sorority chapters and two associate chapters that total more than 2,000 members, according to the PHA website.