David Manderscheid will be the executive dean and vice provost of OSU’s College of Arts and Sciences, effective July 1, pending approval by the Board of Trustees.

Courtesy of OSU

The position of executive dean of Ohio State’s College of Arts and Sciences and vice provost for Arts and Sciences and professor of mathematics has been given to David Manderscheid, effective July 1, pending approval by OSU’s Board of Trustees.

Manderscheid is currently the dean of University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Arts and Sciences, as well as a professor of mathematics.

The Arts and Sciences executive dean and vice provost’s primary responsibilities include administrative leadership, budget and resource allocation, faculty recruitment, development and retention, fundraising, strategic planning and undergraduate advising, career services and diversity services, according to OSU’s Office of Academic Affairs.

The College of Arts and Sciences executive dean and vice provost position is currently held by Joseph Steinmetz.

It was announced Nov. 27 that Provost Joseph Alutto, who also holds the title of executive vice president and chief academic officer, is stepping down from the position, effective June 30, and that Steinmetz will be replacing Alutto beginning July 1.

Alutto will continue to work with OSU as special advisor to the president, as well as writing and possibly teaching courses, according to a Lantern article.

Alutto is currently paid a $554,559 salary and Steinmetz is paid $348,418.

Manderscheid will receive a $360,000 salary, OSU spokesman Jeff Grabmeier said in an email.

OSU conducted a nationwide search for Steinmetz’s replacement.

Manderscheid’s wife, Susan Lawrence, will be making the move to OSU with him as an associate professor in the Department of History. She holds the same position at Nebraska. She will be paid a $90,072 salary, Grabmeier said.

Manderscheid has served as the chief academic officer of Arts and Sciences at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln since 2007, focusing on interdisciplinary research, improving undergraduate education and increasing diversity, according to an OSU press release.

He has also won several teaching awards for mathematics and has been published for his work in representation theory with applications to number theory. Manderscheid has served as principal investigator on several grants from the U.S. Department of Education, the National Science Foundation and the National Security Agency, according to the release.

Manderscheid has held appointments at University of Iowa, University of Utah, Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute in Berkeley and the University of Paris as well.